This was a fun and insightful interview with Brian Peters who is a multi SCCA national champion and pro solo champion. He is fast and shares his thoughts with us.
Brian was the 2015 Driver of Eminence award winner and multi time national champion in SOLO and Pro Solo in many different classes.
Brian started out in 1999 when he got invited to an event – had a great time and realized he was good at it, been doing it since.
His first car: Toyota Cressida AT ‘80 - Check out a photo here.
In the beginning Brian hit some local events and traveled a bit. The first few years was just really about having fun for him.
- One of his tips: It’s really just a matter of coming with a baseline and testing – maximizing car strength.
- There’s no one way to drive – each driver is different.
- Brian likes a stable car but he’s more about responsive car.
- He thinks: How quickly can you get the car through the element?
- There’s complications that won’t allow the driver to focus in front of the car like they should.
- How far ahead do you scan? It’s a matter of really knowing what’s coming up – it’s too late to make changes. It’s really a matter of being one feature ahead. Timing is vital.
- It’s more of a challenge on the front-wheel drive to keep the balance.
- The first walk is important – you have to put together a good mental plan on what to do. Timing is really important too.
- On walking the course: One or two casual walks at bigger events – then one for myself to focus.
- Are you picking all the elements? I walk through my exits. I make sure I have visuals on every exit. You don’t look at single cones – I draw mental lines off the corners.
- I don’t think about car placements on entries, I don’t look at entrances.
If Brian could drive anybody’s car right now? Kiesel’s will be high on the list.
If Brian could build any car? A Mustang - I kinda pick the underdogs. (I forgot to ask him then why a corvette...oh this was a question with unlimited budget
Awards - 2015 Driver of Eminence
- 2008 CSP Mazda MX5
- 2010 DSP BMW 330i
- 2012 FS Mustang
- 2013 STR Nissan 350Z
- 2014 STU Nissan 350Z
- 2015 ESP Mustang
Pro Solo National Championships
- 2010 DSP Class Championship
- 2015 ESP Class Championship